Monday, April 17, 2017
Here are 4 pieces of equipment you can add to your sports bag to stay safe during the sports season.
1. Remember to wear a mouth guard. A mouth guard is less expensive than an injury, and not painful to your mouth or wallet. Keep your smile safe and prevent your orthodontic appliances from injury by habitually wearing a mouth guard during sports.
2. Wear a helmet when needed. Helmets can greatly prevent damage to the head so be sure to always wear one when necessary.
3. Protective eyewear can make a difference. Keep your 20/20 vision with sports eyewear that will keep your vision clear and your game at its best.
4. Face shields may be necessary. If you are a hockey, football, or baseball player face shields can prevent severe damage to your face.
These are all great accessories to have when playing sports. This equipment can prevent impact and damage to your head and mouth, all while not interfering with your MVP skills on the field.
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 ounces pound cake or butter loaf (store bought is ok)
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 cups fresh strawberries
- Prepare the lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, lemon juice and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool.
- Slice the cake into 3/4-inch slices. Brush lemon syrup over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese with the sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add the cream. Continue beating until the mixture resembles soft whipped cream.
- Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 quart size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spreading to the sides of the dish. Scatter half of the strawberries on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese and berries. Pile additional strawberries on top.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.