Tuesday, August 23, 2016
To prevent any ill feelings between you and your braces we recommend...
Avoiding sticky or hard foods. You don’t want to do anything that could cause your bestie harm. Even though it may seem like the best foods are the foods that are sticky and/or hard…sticky or hard foods can break a bracket or wire.
Chewing with your back teeth. Taking a large bite of food with your front teeth can leave your braces vulnerable to damage. Cut large foods into pieces and use your back teeth to chew.
Flossing. We know that it can be a pain to floss around your braces…your braces may even fight you on it. But flossing is the best way to prevent gum disease and other oral health problems. If you find flossing with braces difficult, don’t give up on it. There are tools that can help. Ask us about Floss Threaders. Floss Threaders definitely make flossing with braces much easier.
Smoothing things over. When you first get your braces, sore spots may develop on your cheeks. To protect your cheeks, place wax on the bracket or wire. Rinsing with warm salt water several times a day is also very soothing to your gum and cheek tissues. Don’t worry…the soreness from your braces won’t last long, so try your best not to get mad at your braces.
You and your braces will go through a lot together. When all is said and done, you’ll smile at yourself in the mirror one day, remembering your braces fondly and you'll know that the relationship was totally worth it.
Wednesday, August 10, 2016
If you want to celebrate National S'mores Day today, we encourage you to do so! Want to try something different? Add some flare to your s'mores! Try out this new s'more recipe and let us know what you think!
Mini S'mores Recipe
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (14.4 ounces) whole graham crackers, quartered
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 2 cartons (7 ounces each) milk chocolate for dipping
- 4 ounces white candy coating, melted, optional
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature or until mixture reaches a spreading consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Spread chocolate mixture over half of the graham crackers. Spread marshmallow creme over remaining graham crackers; place over chocolate-covered crackers, pressing to adhere.
- Melt dipping chocolate according to package directions. Dip each s'more halfway into dipping chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; let stand until dipping chocolate is set.
- If desired, drizzle tops with melted white candy coating; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield:about 4 dozen.